Sheffield CU Passport Activity Newsletter, October 2020 - packed with tons activities which enable you to earn CU credits
Sheffield Children’s University (CU) is part of an exciting national initiative that encourages and celebrates participation in a wide range of inspiring learning opportunities outside school hours. Our school has signed up this year so please get involved.
- Encourage your child to take up opportunities offered by the school and to attend regularly to build up credits.
- Collect extra credits, buy a Passport to Learning at a library for £2 and sign the front page so your child can collect credits at Learning Destinations (swimming lessons, Karate, tennis lessons etc). Ask instructors if they are a CU learning destination.
- Encourage your child to join in other activities in your area
- Recommend good organisations to CU, if they are not already CU Learning Destinations
- Come along to the CU ceremonies when invited and celebrate your child’s success!
Children and young people’s commitment to learning is celebrated by recording participation in all aspects of voluntary learning through an awards system. Once credit is awarded for each hour of learning that takes place. These are then converted into awards:
- Bronze (30 hours)
- Silver (65 hours)
- Gold (100 hours)
…and these continue right up to 1000 hours!
Research in Sheffield shows that children and young people who participate in out of school CU activities achieve better at both KS2 and KS4 and exceed their estimated results, whereas Non CU pupils do not meet their estimates.